Required Auto Insurance in Alabama

When you drive in Alabama, you have to have auto insurance. You must have the right types of coverage in your policy, and you have to carry proof of your insurance policy. Like all states, state laws dictate the required coverages. If you need auto insurance in Alabama, call us at Baldo-Downs Insurance LLC in Tuscaloosa, AL. 

Required Auto Insurance in Alabama

Liability Coverage

There are two types of liability coverage that are required in these policies with three different amounts stated in the law. The two coverage types are bodily injury liability and property damage liability. Bodily injury liability is a type of coverage that pays for the expenses of those who are injured in an auto accident that is your fault. These expenses can include medical expenses and lost wages. There is an amount of coverage required for one injured person and another amount required for all the injured parties. Property damage liability pays for the damages done to someone else’s property, such as a car or landscaping, when the damage is caused by you.

These are the only two types of insurance that are required by the state, but there are other types that are generally recommended for Alabama motorists. 

Optional Insurance

Getting collision and comprehensive insurance are optional, but they are incredibly helpful after an accident. If you were to cause an accident and had damage to your vehicle from that accident, collision insurance would pay for that damages, less your deductible. This coverage is often required by auto lenders. Comprehensive insurance covers your vehicle against a wide range of risks that can happen to it when it isn’t being driven. 

Get Your Vehicle Covered

When you drive in the state and don’t have auto insurance, you are vulnerable to fines and fees. If you don’t have insurance, call us at Baldo-Downs Insurance LLC in Tuscaloosa, AL.

Types of commercial insurance most businesses can benefit from

Owning a business is never easy. You are vulnerable to many things that can damage your ability to remain open. Mitigating as much of that danger is vital to your success. Commercial insurance strives to minimize your vulnerabilities. Having an independent insurance agent who understands your business is essential to getting the right coverage. In Tuscaloosa, AL,  Baldo-Downs Insurance LLC will work with you to address all your insurance needs. 

Types of commercial insurance 

Commercial Liability Insurance

Almost every business is in danger of being on the receiving end of legal action against them. It can come from customers, vendors, or even employees. Surviving a legal action is much easier when you have commercial liability insurance. It can pay for a judgment against you and even for your legal expenses to defend yourself.  

Commercial Property Insurance

Commercial property insurance is the business equivalent of home or renters insurance. You don’t need to own the building where your business occupies in order to benefit from it. Property insurance also offers content coverage that covers what you use in your business. Tools, machinery, raw materials, office equipment, or inventory are all included. It is hard to do business without these. 

Commercial Auto Insurance

If your business owns any vehicles, they should be covered with commercial insurance. If you do use your personal vehicle for business, you could leave yourself vulnerable. Many personal auto policies do not cover business usage.

Workers Compensation Coverage

In Alabama, workers’ compensation coverage is required by all employers who have five or more employees. This insurance benefits both workers and employees. It provides medical coverage as well as lost time for employees who are injured in the performance of their job. 

Contact Baldo-Downs Insurance LLC in Tuscaloosa, AL when you’re ready to discuss your business and commercial insurance needs. 

Things that home insurance won’t cover

You get home insurance to protect your home. You may think you are completely safe, but the truth is, home insurance doesn’t cover everything that can happen to your home. Homeowners in Tuscaloosa, AL can count on Baldo-Downs Insurance LLC to give them the advice they need to make an educated decision regarding home coinsurance overage. Independent insurance agents work for their customers, not for one insurance company, and they have many carriers for you to choose from. 

Things that home insurance won’t cover

Earth movement

Earth movement is exactly what it sounds like. The earth moves, and it damages your home. This includes things like earthquakes, mudslides, and sinkholes. Your traditional home insurance policy will not cover damage from these events. However, you can purchase an endorsement or a totally separate policy to protect yourself if you live in an area where these hazards are a potential problem. 


Floods are a serious hazard in many parts of the country, and your home insurance will not cover flooding that results from surface water. This includes bodies of water that overrun their banks and tidal flooding. If, however, you have a busted pipe in your home, this is included with your home insurance policy.   

Owner neglect

Many different things can be considered owner neglect. If your home suffers termite damage, insurance doesn’t pay for that. You, as a homeowner, should have your home treated for termites. If your old roof leaks and damages your ceilings and home, it’s on you. You need to replace your old roof before it does damage. If, however, a hurricane blows off your roof and you suffer damage, that should be covered. You can’t control the wind and rain. 

In Tuscaloosa, AL contact Baldo-Downs Insurance LLC when you are in the market for home insurance.