Auto Coverage for Towed Trailers and Equipment

At Baldo-Downs Insurance LLC, when you ask us questions about insurance, sometimes we respond with a bunch of questions of our own. That’s the nature of the insurance business. We want to make sure you get the right trailer coverage for your needs in Tuscaloosa, AL and understand what it covers. That’s true when we’re talking about coverage for your car along with a towed trailer or equipment, which could mean a lot of things.

Is this a "fifth wheel," boat, hot dog cart, jet ski, or maybe an agricultural item? Are you towing your club’s trailer to an event? Has the trailer been properly registered and inspected if necessary? What kind of insurance do you already have on the vehicle that will be towing it? We’ll help you with all the details, so you can just go ahead and do what you do without worry.

As Simple as Possible, No More

As a famous scientist once said, things should be as simple as possible, but not simpler. That’s how insurance of things towed by your vehicle goes. We know what goes on your trailer hitch in Tuscaloosa, AL can vary widely. Covering them and the damage they might cause is important. A brand-new boat on a brand-new trailer is different from an old rusty trailer with landscaping equipment. Trailer misbehavior can make a mess of your vehicle and the people inside. It’s our job to help you with coverage for the unexpected and problems that don’t seem likely.

Commercial Trailer Considerations

If you’re pulling a hot dog cart, landscaping equipment, or other money-making equipment, you might have commercial equipment according to the State of Alabama. At Baldo-Downs Insurance LLC, our experts can help you cover your business trailer and equipment as well!

Required Auto Insurance in Alabama

When you own a vehicle in Alabama, you are required to have auto insurance on it. You need a policy that at least covers the minimums that are required by law.

However, that isn’t much coverage when it comes to serious accidents. It’s usually best to get more coverage than is required. It’s also recommended that you get extra types of coverage than the ones that are required. When you need auto insurance in Alabama, call us at Baldo-Downs Insurance LLC in Tuscaloosa, AL to find out more. 

Liability Coverage in Alabama

It is required to have two types of liability coverage for your vehicle in Alabama. There are three amounts of this coverage that you’re required to have. One of these is an amount of bodily injury liability coverage that pays for one injured person.

Then, there is another amount of bodily injury liability required that’s for everyone who is injured. It’s also required to have an amount for property damage liability. All of these coverage types pay for another party’s expenses when the accident was your fault. However, none of it pays for your own expenses. 

Other Coverage

It’s a good idea to add coverage to your policy that will pay for your own damages after an accident. If you get collision insurance coverage, this will pay for your vehicle’s damages after an accident that was your fault. For even better protection, you can also get comprehensive coverage. This is another type of auto coverage that pays for damage done to your vehicle when it isn’t being driven. Many things can happen to a vehicle, and this is a smart type of coverage. 

Get Auto Insurance

If you don’t have your Alabama auto insurance yet, it’s time to get your policy. Call us at Baldo-Downs Insurance LLC in Tuscaloosa, AL.

Why basic auto insurance isn’t always the right choice

Basic auto insurance is what the state mandates you have for coverage. In Alabama, basic liability coverage is in the amount of 25/50/25. At Baldo-Downs Insurance LLC in Tuscaloosa, AL, we get to know our customers so that we can help them make educated choices when it comes to their coverage. As an independent insurance agency, we have access to more carriers, which provides our customers with more options. 

Coverage For Your Auto: More Than The Basics

Liability insurance provides protection for other drivers from an accident where you are the at-fault driver. Basic coverage provides $25,000 for injuries to one person in an accident, with a total of $50,000 for all injuries. $25,000 is provided for property damage. This may be enough coverage for you if you have no assets, but with the cost of a hospital stay, it could be lacking. 

If you owe money on your vehicle or if you are leasing it, you won’t be able to get away with just basic insurance. You will need to cover the vehicle as well. That means full coverage with glass, collision, and comprehensive. 

Collision insurance covers your vehicle in an accident where you are at fault. But it also covers you if you are in a one-vehicle accident or if you are a victim of a hit-and-run. 

Comprehensive coverage is lots of non-collision things that can damage your vehicle. If your vehicle is stolen or vandalized, you are covered. If a deer jumped into your vehicle, no problem. Glass coverage is usually included. Make sure it is full glass coverage. Many weather-related incidents are also covered, including high winds, flooding, and hail. 

Give Us A Call

Contact Baldo-Downs Insurance LLC in Tuscaloosa, AL when you are looking for the right auto insurance policy. Call us or stop by for a free quote. 


Required Auto Insurance in Alabama

When you drive in Alabama, you have to have auto insurance. You must have the right types of coverage in your policy, and you have to carry proof of your insurance policy. Like all states, state laws dictate the required coverages. If you need auto insurance in Alabama, call us at Baldo-Downs Insurance LLC in Tuscaloosa, AL. 

Required Auto Insurance in Alabama

Liability Coverage

There are two types of liability coverage that are required in these policies with three different amounts stated in the law. The two coverage types are bodily injury liability and property damage liability. Bodily injury liability is a type of coverage that pays for the expenses of those who are injured in an auto accident that is your fault. These expenses can include medical expenses and lost wages. There is an amount of coverage required for one injured person and another amount required for all the injured parties. Property damage liability pays for the damages done to someone else’s property, such as a car or landscaping, when the damage is caused by you.

These are the only two types of insurance that are required by the state, but there are other types that are generally recommended for Alabama motorists. 

Optional Insurance

Getting collision and comprehensive insurance are optional, but they are incredibly helpful after an accident. If you were to cause an accident and had damage to your vehicle from that accident, collision insurance would pay for that damages, less your deductible. This coverage is often required by auto lenders. Comprehensive insurance covers your vehicle against a wide range of risks that can happen to it when it isn’t being driven. 

Get Your Vehicle Covered

When you drive in the state and don’t have auto insurance, you are vulnerable to fines and fees. If you don’t have insurance, call us at Baldo-Downs Insurance LLC in Tuscaloosa, AL.